Version Marshmallow on Android Device. This error will not allow the launch of any new application and run. Your screen will be covered with the text message “Screen overlay Detected” and then stops the running application.
Before we tackle the issue, we need to find a permanent solution, we must first identify the screen overlay is detected. It is important to understand the screen overlay that is detected and how it occurs, and which devices are the most susceptible to this issue. If you’re impatient enough to study its explanations and explanations, you can go straight to its fix “How do I disable Screen Overlay detected?”.
How is the screen Overlay and how is it detected?
This is one of the most frequent problems that users face. Marshmallow versions of Android devices. Whenever we install a new app it requests permissions such as access to Contacts on phones, cameras and File Storage, etc. In order to start the application must be granted the permissions. In this process, you will see an unexpected pop-up appears with the message “Screen Overlay detected” and won’t let users to launch and run the app. It can be a major issue and it will continue to persist until you switch off the overlay on all of applications.
What causes the ‘Screen overlay Detected’ Error appear?
This is due to the security measures implemented by Android in Marshmallow version and higher. Security measures? Yes, you read that right. Screen Overlay Detected isn’t in fact an error but an security measure to block certain applications that are not authorized. If you’ve installed any kind of software through third-party sources it could be that you encounter the Screen Overlay detected error.
This issue usually occurs when you’re running an app that is floating such as: Facebook messenger chat heads when you have a new application running in the background. You’ll encounter an error when the app is trying to get permission.
This pop-up is likely to pop up repeatedly in the event that you do not resolve the issue with a permanent solution.
Error message “Screen overlay detected” The cause
The issue: Android suddenly warns you that an overlay on your screen was discovered.
Reason is that this message will appear when you’re using an application that is floating and then you start a new installed one, asking for access rights. Common floating applications include the chat heads from Facebook Messenger that can appear floating over other apps.
affected smartphones Users across the web have reported experiencing this issue in Samsung and Motorola smartphones, as well as other. AndroidPIT was able to reproduce the issue on Vodafone and an Samsung smartphone.
Troublesome apps We reproduced the issue using Drupe However, ES File Explorer, CleanMaster, Lux and Twilight have all been blamed for the issue.
Background information:As as a measure of security the apps request permission to access certain areas that are part of the phone (internal storage cameras, internal storage, etc.). In the theoretical sense, an overlay display may interfere with the dialog that asks permission, therefore you must turn off the feature in order to communicate with the dialog.
How to disable overlays on screens on Android
In this article, you will learn how to disable the screen overlay of all applications including system apps. following this, the issue of screen overlays detected won’t be a problem.
The process differs for Samsung users, which you’ll learn more about in the next section.
Follow the following steps to disable screen overlays on all Android devices:
- First, open Settings on your Android phone
- Then scroll to the Apps section.
- Then, tap the three Dots which you’ll find in the right side of your smartphone.
- Select Draw in addition to other Apps.
- Once more, click on three dots, and then select to show the System apps
- Here is the list of apps that have system apps which have Screen Overlay is on.
- Lastly, switch off the screen overlay for the apps in general.
Finally, you’ve removed the Screen Overlay of all apps , and you’ll not have to worry about this issue once more. If you wish to enable Facebook Messenger to make use of its chat heads, you can enable it by hand.
Options to disable the screen Overlay issue in a Samsung Device
Many Samsung users are looking for information on how to disable overlays on screen of Samsung. Here are the steps to follow:
- Then, you must start by opening Settings.
- After that, click on Applicationsand choose the the Application Manager option.
- Click on the “More” option on the right side of the screen.
- Here you can pick the Apps that are listed on the top of the page.
- Once more, tap on the More option and select the Show Apps option.
- The entire list of applications will be displayed on the inactive the Screen Overlay
- This is the time to turn off the overlay on your screen of these apps in a selective manner.
Following the steps, you’ve successfully disabled the screen overlays on your Samsung devices.
How do fix the “Screen Overlay Detected” problem on Android
It’s time to look at some of the most efficient and most effective ways to correct the screen overlay identified problem on Android.
Learn about applications
In the beginning, you must find apps that are allowed to draw on the screen. If you’re not already a Samsung user, then follow these steps:
- First open Settings
- Click on magnifying glass at the top right
- Enter “draw” in the search bar.
- Hit Draw above the apps
- Alternative method: Apps> >> icon of gear > Draw on other apps
For Samsung users:
- Start your Settings
- Then Then the Applications section > The Application Manager
- Click on to Additional > Applications that be displayed on the top
Switch to safe Mode
Before you can tackle the problem it is essential to be aware of the steps to enter the safe mode. Be aware that if you’re using phones running default Android such as Xiaomi MI A1, HTC, Moto, Lenovo etc then follow the step-by step guide to fix the Screen Overlay Detected error.
To enter Safe Mode, you have click on the Power Button and hold for until it appears. the option to restart into Safe Mode.
If your phone is prompted to restart, the phone will be put into Safe Mode.
Now, you must be aware of which apps the “Screen Overlay detected” error is showing.
Then, you must give all permissions to these types of apps.
One by one, change the permissions of these applications that cause this error.
Make sure the app has permissions
There is a list of applications that have permission to display overlays on screens and floating buttons.
Then, you must search for the app that’s causing the problem and temporarily refuse authorization to draw on the screen.
Look over the points below to determine the app that’s causing problems:
- If you notice the application bubble on your screen, it is a sign that the issue lies in that area. Now, you need to decide whether you want to hide the app bubble, or eliminate it from the list.
- Clean Master application can cause problems, so it’s best to turn it off
- If you have an app you’ve installed alters color when you use it, this could be the reason of the issue.
- If you aren’t getting anything , disabling all apps is the most efficient way.
Every device that can support overlays on screens is vulnerable for the screen overlay detected error. Samsung as well as Lenovo devices are most likely to encounter this because of their popularity, but every Android smartphone is equally susceptible to encountering the issue.
The error is reported to have appeared since at minimum the time of 4.1 Jelly Bean. How it manifests and the way it’s resolved has changed over time. Google introduced a more efficient system settings menu in Android 8.0 Oreo and made the issue much more manageable to fix.